Re: Paper Documentation Fonts

Subject: Re: Paper Documentation Fonts
From: Laura Clark <Laura_Clark -at- BIO-RAD -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 17:44:10 ...

Greetings,

serif for readability issue, I have a most ancient tome, "Designing
with Type: A basic course in typography." (James Craig,Watson-Guptill
Publishing, NY, 1971)

This book includes a chapter entitled, "How Do We Read?" On serif vs.
sans serif (p. 123):

"You will find that the serifs on a typeface facilitate the horizontal
flow necessary to comfortable reading. As Helvetica does not have
serifs, some readers find it difficult or uncomfortable to read. The
designer should be aware of this and decide for himself whether to use
a serif or sans serif typeface for any given job.

Serifs not only facilitate the horizontal flow but. small as they are,
help to identify the individual letters. They make every lowercase
letter unique and, therefore, more immediately recognizable."

In regard to the "horizontal flow," this refers to how the eye bounces
along the upper half of the letters -- letters with serifs are more
quickly identified.

Anyway, hope this is of some help.

Laura Clark

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net