communication of another sort

Subject: communication of another sort
From: "Matthew B. Hicks" <matt -at- UNIDATA -dot- UCAR -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 1996 16:38:12 -0600

For those who haven't seen it, the NYTimes online just opened a photo
essay site on the end of the war in Bosnia. The text and photos are by
French photographer Gilles Peres and there are some voice annotations from
him as well, which I find more interesting than many of the photos. The
site is titled "Bosnia: Uncertain Paths to Peace" and I think it's worth
taking a look at -- plan on spending a few hours to work your way through
the site, more if you want to absorb the story the pictures tell. The URL
is http://www.nytimes.com/bosnia/

I feel this is relevant to our forum as an example of one approach to
communicating complex information, as well as an interesting use of the
Web.

One note: All the photos on a page link to the next page; they are
not links to different places. The narrative is linear, with two forks.
This may not be typical hypertext, but I didn't find myself distracted by
wondering which link would be the most interesting or how I could make
sure I didn't miss anything as I jumped around.

Another note: There is no gore; no corpse shots. The focus is on the
survivors, who are nonetheless victims.

-Matt Hicks matt -at- unidata -dot- ucar -dot- edu
"This planet just stepped over the line, assemble the giant robot!"
-Dick Solomon, "3rd Rock from the Sun"

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net