Differences between UK English and US English

Subject: Differences between UK English and US English
From: DAVID IBBETSON <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 1996 21:56:23 -0400

Ollie Cornes writes:
>I wonder if anyone can help me out..

>I am looking for some documentation of the major differences between these two
>languages - ideally a document covering areas deserving particular attention -
>e.g. words with wildly different meanings or undesirable connotations.

>The majority of differences will be resolved with spelling checkers in the
>two languages, but I'm keen to find if there's any other major differences
>I should be aware of.

>To an extent things are pretty good at the moment, there are no fannies, fags,
>or fawcetts in the help, but we do have one rubber.

>Any help would be great.

The Economist Style Guide has a section on this subject with examples and
alternatives for words likely to occur in The Economist. This may be useful.

David (the idiot) Ibbetson

David Ibbetson, Ontario, Canada ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com

When a rich man is fallen, he hath many helpers: he speaketh things not to
be spoken, and yet men justify him: the poor man slipped, and yet they
rebuked him too; he spake wisely, and could have no place --- Ecclesiasticus
XIV, xxii
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net