Re: Lament

Subject: Re: Lament
From: Marilynne Smith <mrsmith -at- CTS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 23:31:10 -0700

At 09:06 AM 6/5/96 -0500, J. Bell wrote:
>I went to two job fairs yesterday. Each fair had about 40 companies looking
>to fill high-tech positions. Each company posted a listing of jobs
>available. Only
>three companies out of the 80 or so advertised for technical writers.

>Undeterred, I asked at each booth if they needed any tech writers. Invariably
>the answer was "Yes"! I handed out 50 resumes. (I ran out just before the last
>booth. I've promised to mail them one today.)

>Overall the prospects are good. I've got interviews lined up. One recruiter
even
>chased me down at another recruiter's booth when one his co-recruiters
shared my
>resume with him.

>So why am I unhappy?
>Why is it that these high-tech companies posted job listings for programmers,
>engineers, UNIX support, etc. but "forgot" to post tech writer positions?
All of
>the hot prospects I have were with companies that didn't post the openning.

>--- John Bell
> johnbell -at- mnsinc -dot- com
=============================
John, I think you have just reached a greater understanding about how to get
a new job. I think you really had your head attached and your brain working
at the job fairs.

Another thing I do is to research companies that I'd like to work for and
send them a resume. My cover letter, of course, states that the reason I'm
sending the resume is because I'd like to work for that particular company.
In that cover I also mention the things that draw me to the company. It works.

Marilynne
mrsmith -at- cts -dot- com
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net