Re: Bugs in Documentation

Subject: Re: Bugs in Documentation
From: Sue Heim <sue -at- RIS -dot- RISINC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 1996 14:00:34 PST

Peter Gold wrote:
> Tech support is the customer's contact with the company when a
> product problems; tech support may keep a database of problems and
> their nature, such as "doc bug."

We actually do keep a database of "problem reports" and "FYIs" that
the entire development staff, including tech support, has access to.
In the database we've designed areas (modules) in which the problem
occurred. And we've separate keywords for online help, documentation
and readthis files. So when we do a new release (minor, of course) or
when I reprint the docs, I can retrieve those problem reports and
make corrections. Keeps us all in line (and that way I don't forget
to include something! <grin>).

And then he added:
> In one PC software company where I was in tech support, several tech
> pubs writers and managers visited a couple of times over a six-month
> period, asked questions, took notes, asked for support issues logs,
> and incorporated into the next release of the product documentation
> improvements in presentation of concepts, corrections of doc errors,
> common problems and how to fix/avoid/survive them, etc.

Tech Support here issues a monthly report on all calls (including
statistics) and itemizes their major problem areas. If there is
something that could be made clearer in the docs, that may be one way
that I'll hear of it. They just put it up on the net and let the
development staff it's there and can be perused at leisure. Lets us,
in development, keep a finger on the pulse of our customers...

...sue
Sue Heim
Research Information Systems
Carlsbad, California USA
Email: Sue -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net