Suggested job interview questions

Subject: Suggested job interview questions
From: "Gravlin, Bob and Betty" <rbg -at- TETRANET -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 22:30:29 -0500

Hi Techwrlers;
My company's software may be bought by a "systems integration" company
from Texas that has 95,000 employees and $12.4 billion in sales revenue.
I will have to interview with this new company, since I would become their
employee. I've never worked for such a large company and I am concerned
what it will be like. I've been the only writer for the last five years, so I got to
call all the shots about the documentation. I want some suggestions about
what questions I need to ask. For example, are technical writers respected
as professionals on par with systems developers, or will I get shafted at
raise time? If you have different standards, will I have to re-format 5000 pages
of documentation and convert it to different DTP software?

In other words,what questions do you wished you had asked before you took
your job? I want to know what will be expected of me and what I can expect of
the new company. I need to know if I will survive this or if I should hit the eject
button now. It may be the best thing that ever happened to me but I'm worried
about the unknown future. It's been too long since I've interviewed for a job so
I'm rusty at this. Please help me out.

BTW, if you are a tech writer for this new company (I think I gave you enough
clues), please respond off line to me about your experiences. I'm not at liberty
to mention company names because it's just a strong rumor at this point.

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net