OO Resource list (long)

Subject: OO Resource list (long)
From: Michael Collier <michacol -at- UPGRADE -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 14:48:27 -0600

Due to a high level of interest I am posting the object oriented resource
list. It was requested by almost 30 people, demonstrating to me anyway that
this is clearly an en vogue topic.

For those who asked--Envy (listed under my project description on the
resource list) is an application building tool used by Smalltalk developers.

Victor Chapel suggests using OO in the subject line for posts related to
object-oriented matters. Any other suggestions for managing communication
are welcome.

The following is a summary of the responses I*ve received from people
interested in object-oriented development and documentation. Most people
who responded mentioned that they are in the early stages of learning about
OO development and its documentation requirements.

Michael Collier
michacol -at- upgrade -dot- com
___

Summary of Interests*Object Oriented Development and Documentation

Mike Uhl (uhl -at- vislab -dot- epa -dot- gov) is interested in OO principles as related to
the Java programming language.

Michael Wing (mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com) is documenting objects/methods/properties for
Visual Basic programmers. Developing object hierarchy object diagrams and
help system.

Sue Gallagher (sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com) is working on CORBA extension to
C++, Smalltalk, and automatic generation of OLE objects.

Pat Hinds (pat -dot- hinds -at- sfrep -dot- com) is working on translation software for
electronic data interchange, documenting business cases,
objects/methods/properties.

Patrick McCarthy (PTM123 -at- aol -dot- com) has produced documentation for C++
development. Wrote article "Documenting Topics in Software Development" for
STC. Provided a useful reference: "Preparing To Document an Object Oriented
Project" by Robert Berry, et.al. Technical Communication, November 1994. He
also points out that there is a great demand
for documenting scripting language (Perl, UNIX script) for system
administrators. Due to the complexity of LANS-routers, RADIUS servers etc,
most systems have become tremendously complex.

Victor Chapel (victorc -at- trcinc -dot- com) has a document set for OO development
available through his company, Technical Resource Connection.

Matt Danda (dandam -at- 1stnet -dot- net) is working on a preliminary standards
document for documenting OO applications.

David Mitchell (mitchell -at- sky -dot- net) Primarily working on end user docs, also
supports internal development documentation. Developers code from user
interface (UI) narrative; tutorials and procedures documented from use
cases. Creates reference documentation from UI narrative. Planning online
doc system with multimedia elements. Developers using Visual Age and
Smalltalk. Development methodology based on Object Advantage (Jacobson).

Ruth Glaser (ruthg -at- goretek -dot- com) Works for a SW company which will be
incorporating OO design into next version of product; starting from scratch;
would like to hear from others in a similar situation. Evaluating
methodologies, leaning towards Unified.

Mike Bygrave (bygravem -at- intuitive -dot- co -dot- uk) is involved in updating
documentation to OO-4GL programming languages (development in Smalltalk) and
is very new to OO concepts.

David Hailey (FAHAILEY -at- wpo -dot- hass -dot- usu -dot- edu) teaches help file development,
interested in general issues related to OO and help files.

..and as for me, your humble facilitator and OO head,

Michael Collier (michacol -at- upgrade -dot- com) Development is in Smalltalk, using
VisualWorks and Envy. PM has decided on Fusion as the development
methodology. My questions are also in the realm of, what specific types of
documents should be created in documenting the project for use by future
developers, and what they should include. Fusion (and other methodologies
as well) describe use cases, object interaction graphs, class descriptions,
etc., all of which I will be learning about and applying in the
documentation to be developed. I do have an object reference underway for
one project.

I also recommend the following for OO newbies:

A good very basic intro to O-O is Object Oriented Technology: A Manager's
Guide by David Taylor (Addison-Wesley).

From there you'll have to make the big leap into object methodology texts,
such as Object Oriented Software Engineering by Ivar Jacobson
(Addison-Wesley) or Object Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications by
Grady Booch (Benjamin/Cummings Publishing Co.)

Also of interest: Object-Oriented Development at Work: Fusion InThe Real
World by Ruth Malan, et.al. (Prentice Hall) and Object Oriented Development:
The Fusion Method by Derek Coleman, et. al. (Prentice Hall). These are
specific to the Fusion methodology, however.

I also recommend Object magazine and the Journal of Object Oriented
Programming. Both are breezy reads with lots of vendor info and application
examples.

Go forth and send messages!

Michael Collier
michacol -at- upgrade -dot- com

___________________end original OO resource list_________________________

Victor (victorc -at- trcinc -dot- com) also offers the following additional comments:

The standard document set [offered by his company, Technical Resource
Connection, for OO projects] includes:

an overall System Architecture, a Technical (Infrastructure)
Architecture, an Information (Business) Architecture, a
Software or Integration Architecture, and a Software Development
Process (for building Software Development Plans), Building a
Learning Organization, and of course a Project Charter. For
many projects the documents are the only tangible deliverable.
(So I can share rough outlines, but no content.)

For projects that continue beyond the "advisory" role, we
include documents such as Programmer and User Guides, such as
a Persistent Object Service Guide and Application-specific guides.
We also include help clients prepare for ISO or SEI certification.

We encourage all clients to join OMG and purchase CORBA, COSS
and related specification documents.

We encourage clients to "buy the book" such as Jacobson's
OOSE, The Fusion Method by Coleman, and others by
Odell, Martin, Meyer, Berard, Page-Jones, and Davenport.

We have a reading list I can share or submit to techwri-l if
you think it's useful.

Ever read The Tao of Objects by Gary Entsminger (M&T Books)?

What about Object Currents from Sigs Books
http://www.sigs.com/objectcurrents/

Do we have a little Object Writer's subgroup here? Maybe we
could preface all our TECHWRI-L posts that are object-specific
with an OO in the subject.
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net