math equations, msword, and html

Subject: math equations, msword, and html
From: Raymond Chenier <rchenier -at- SYNAPSE -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 20:58:49 -0400

I may be starting a software manual that requires many mathematical
equations and illustrations of geometric shapes. It seems the customer
will want the deliverable in msword, which they want to convert to html
with Internet Assistant.

So my concerns start here,

1. I am having trouble with word's equation editor. Many of the
symbols (sum of, integration,...) are coming out as capital
letters with carets. I figure it must be a font thing. But
in your opinion, is msword with equation editor suitable for
complex mathematical formulae and the like?

2. I must wind up with a word compatible document (there may be
room for coaxing the client into utilizing another format),
and I am just starting to look at html math. This manual
will be internal, and the html viewable on intranet
browsers.

I have access to, but am inexeperienced in, Framemaker 5. I hear it
does nice math equations.

Any feedback appreciated, thanks.
Raymond Chenier, Technical Writer; Electronics Background; Inventor.
rchenier -at- synapse -dot- net
writer -at- synapse -dot- net
rchenier -at- inasec -dot- ca
http://www.synapse.net/~writer
"640 K ought to be enough for anyone." -- Bill Gates, 1981

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net