Re: Re. Trust your translator?

Subject: Re: Re. Trust your translator?
From: Lucy Hyatt <oclhyatt -at- USTHK -dot- UST -dot- HK>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 03:12:51 GMT

The company I worked for six months ago, and will go back to in
August, does a lot of translations into Chinese of medical stuff.
These publications are for use in China and Taiwan, mainly. We have
to have separate versions for the two markets, because something
that comes back with a "wonderful" comment from the company's China
office may get a "what is this stuff?" from the folks (from the
same company) in Taipei.

Because of this, we always send the translation at manuscript stage
for approval. It makes sure the client gets what they want, and
keeps us in work!

We have problems getting good translators/editors here in Hong
Kong, because most of our doctors and technical folk have been
trained in English, and do not know the Chinese technical terms. We
have one translator who we trust, and he takes a QC role for any
new translators we use. We also have another proofreader/editor, so
each translation is seen by at least three people before it goes to
print.

The English version is seen by the writer, the editor, the client
and (if there was one) the speaker, and then the editor and
proofreader before printing.

I don't think it is a question of not trusting the translators. If
you are publishing material for clients, you have to get it right.

Sorry for the verbosity -- I guess this was the net equivalent of
thinking aloud.

Lucy Hyatt

oclhyatt -at- usthk -dot- ust -dot- hk

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net