Color screen captures

Subject: Color screen captures
From: Catherine McNair <cmcnair -at- SPICER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 May 1996 11:09:26 -0400

After working on a 21" monochrome monitor for years, I have just acquired a
20" color monitor. Now I need to know the best way to handle color screen
captures.

I'm documenting a Windows software product, using Word for Windows 6.0. The
manual will contain no color. We are using a Linotronic print process at
2400 dpi.

What I'm wondering is:

1. What dialog box color scheme produces the best printed results?

2. Should I convert the 256-color graphics to 16 color? To grayscale? To
dithered monochrome?

3. I've been experimenting with 16-color BMP files so far, and it certainly
makes the files more chunky than the monochrome BMPs did. Would you
recommend a different file format? If so, which one?

4. I have access to several graphics packages. Which do you prefer to use
for working with color screen captures?

I'm looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Not speaking for anyone but me,
Catherine McNair
<cmcnair -at- spicer -dot- com>
Technical Writer, Spicer Corporation, Kitchener, ON
Employment Manager, STC Southwestern Ontario

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net