Re: Two versions of help

Subject: Re: Two versions of help
From: David Jones/KSBEISD <David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- DATAHUB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 09:35:26 HST

Sue Gallagher quoted Jean A. Pratt as writing:
>>Doc-to-Help provides a compiler choice as well. The dilemma for us
>was to choose which way to go. The Win95 option offered some fun
>bells and whistles but we think most of our end users may still be
>3.1, and the Windows 3.1 help engine wouldn't run our help compiled
>for 95, soooo....

Theoretically, Win 3.1 will run WinHelp 4.0 if your user installs
the set of Win32s DLLs. I haven't tried it, so don't know if the
process has been <perfected> yet. ;-)<
No, nothing connected with Win32s has been perfected. We have one
application that requires Win32s. We've been through three different "fixes" of
Win32s. We still get total system lockups (not just in the app that requires
Win32s, but in other apps running on any system with Win32s installed).
IMHO, MS has given up on making Win32s work on anything outside of W95. So
I'd suggest *not using Win32s* if all you need it for is to run WinHelp 4 files
on a W31 system.

David Jones, Technical Writer
David_Jones/KSBEISD -dot- KSBEISD -at- Datahub -dot- com
Kamehameha Schools Bishop Estate

DISCLAIMER:
"I do not speak for my employer, my computer, or any other living thing."

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net