PAN

Subject: PAN
From: DAVID IBBETSON <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 00:05:29 -0400

Vince Reh writes:

>While looking through a government radio operations manual, I ran across a
>term that was unfamiliar to me, "pan." According to the manual, pan is to
>be used to indicate that a message is urgent. The manual also discusses
>the proper use of the term "mayday," which is probably familiar to most of
>us.

>Has anyone heard of "pan" being used anywhere? Where did it come from? I
>understand that "mayday" comes from the French "m'aide'" which means "help
>me." I'm baffled by pan.

I've heard of PAN, but haven't met it, or seen a news report of its use.

It's the combining form of the Greek word for ALL. The Morse code equivalent
was CQ (dah dit dah dit dah dah di dah) All stations hearing the signal are
asked to respond and take appropriate action. Your manual, if it's up to
date, will give further details.

I'm not sure what's happened to PAN, MAYDAY and SOS since the switch to
satellite communications ,for emergency signals.
David (the idiot) Ibbetson ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com
"So you bees make honey, not for yourselves.
So you birds make nests, not for yourselves.
So you sheep bear fleeces, not for yourselves."
Virgil, when Bathyllus claimed authorship of some lines by him.
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net