glossary tab summary

Subject: glossary tab summary
From: Joel Cambron <cambron -at- CIBADIAG -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 1996 12:17:27 -0400

Last week I asked if members of the group used glossary tabs in manuals. Here is the summary of the responses:

Yes

Some of the specific comments follow:

*************************

We print our manuals to fit in 3 ring binders and we have tabs
for each chapter, appendix, glossary, and index. These parts
are usually more than 5 pages and it makes lookup very easy for
our customers (They told us so.) so count us as using tabs.

*************************
Our pubs don't have tabs, but if they did they'd definitely have a glossary tab. The glossary is an important piece in the reader education process. See a word/term you don't understand? A good glossary will hold a definition/explanation. Don't hide your glossary! Bring it out into the sunlight!

...if your doc. is heavy on coined terminology or tech. stuff that will send a reader scurrying to the glossary for a definition, then a tab is probably in order.

Yes, in every manual I've produced with a glossary that had tabs, I had one labeled specifically for the glossary.

It depends on how old the manual is. Some of them have the glossary in the back and have a tab. Others include the glossary as the last section in the front matter and don't have a tab.

Thanks to all who responded.

Joel
joel -dot- cambron -at- cibadiag -dot- com

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net