Video and animation in online docs

Subject: Video and animation in online docs
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 11:04:17 -0700

We have a client who wants us to explore including "video" in one of the
docs we're doing as part of a set for a fairly complex network management
system. They have serious misgivings about spending the $100,000+ for a
professionally produced half hour video, but they won't give up on the
idea of using some sort of video or animation to show processes.

They're willing to consider putting things on CD-ROM, because they have
some concerns that the internal network doesn't have the bandwidth
necessary for humungous video/Quicktime-like files to be delivered to the
desktop. I DO NOT approve of creating a VHS videotape for this, because
it will take people away from the desktop.

The options we're currently considering include various desktop animation
packages, Oracle Media Objects, QuickTime and other stop-motion "video"
packages, and even the possibility (arghhhh!) of autoscripted PowerPoint
files so that the user gets the impression of quick progression from one
visual to another.

Any ideas about some other options we can present?

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net