Re: Please check before reposting

Subject: Re: Please check before reposting
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 1996 19:17:57 -0400

>Lately I've been seeing lots of multiple copies of articles on the
>digest. I'm guessing that at least some of them result from this scenario:

>You post an article. You get a bounce message a few minutes later. You
>swear, "Rats, it didn't work." You post again.

There is another common reason for duplicate messages.

My ISP uses SprintNet for its mail feed. According to the HelpDesk folks,
when a SprintNet node forwards a mail message, it is supposed to send an
acknowledgement signal to the sending server. When the node is down, it
fails to send an acknowledgement signal. The sending server then stores
the message for later delivery attempts. Unfortunately, sometimes the node
transmits the message but 'forgets' to send the acknowledgment signal.
Result: annoying and totally unnecessary duplicate messages.

@Kat _______________________________ katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
Kat Nagel MasterWork Consulting Services, Rochester, NY
Technical writing / Document design / Information services

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net