WinHelp Moving to HTML

Subject: WinHelp Moving to HTML
From: Margaret Packman <mpackman -at- CISCO -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 1996 10:54:35 -0700

There's not really much to tell -- yet. Microsoft unloaded the bombshell a
couple of months ago at a conference, but has provided no further details
since. Everybody's panicking, but based on the Win95 history, it seems a
safe bet that it won't actually happen in mid-97. I just hope we don't have
to wait for "Win2000"! :-)

Here's the history:

>>Lisa Pappas, a speaker and pubs competition award winner at last
>>night's Carolina Chapter, STC meeting, mentioned Microsoft's new
>>intent--as she demonstrated her best-of-show Windows help product.
>>She arrived at the meeting directly from the airport. She had just
>>flown in from Seattle and the WinHelp conference.
>>
>>Lisa works at Mobius Group in Research Triangle Park, NC and I'm unsure
>>whether or not she subscribes to this list.
>>
>>-Mike
>>
>>Cramer, Kim wrote:
>>>
>>> Since I haven't seen this posted yet, I thought I'd share a "bomb" announced
>>> at the WinHelp 96 conference earlier this week. According to a speaker at
>>> one of the sessions, Microsoft has decided to move from RTF to HTML as the
>>> "base coding" for help files. This is planned to take place in mid-1997.
>>>
>>> I wasn't in the session where this was announced and I don't know exactly
>>> who the source was, but it was the talk of the conference. If any of you
>>> were there and have more details, please send them to me personally. I plan
>>> to subscribe to the winhelp list next week so I can find out more from those
>>> folks.
>>>
>>> Oh well, here's a new skill I need to add to my resume! And perhaps this is
>>> the justification to move responsibility for our company's web page from
>>> marketing to pubs (something I've wanted to see happen for a long time)!

>>> Kim Cramer
>>> kcramer -at- ncslink -dot- com
>>> Sr. Information Developer
>>> NCS Education