Re: Websites (#841395)

Subject: Re: Websites (#841395)
From: Bill Burns <wburns -at- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 09:03:41 -0600

25-APR-1996 08:38:37.12

>> (Sounds like the users are latchkey children, huh?)

>Worse, it sounds like your company doesn't believe
>it hires trustworthy employees.

Hold on now. A company may have very good reasons for not wanting employees to
have access. At Micron, people have to request internet access. We have an
intranet, and we control external access using proxy servers. The company could
trust employees not to go out and link to external sites (and for many, it
does). However, it could also be opening its door to a lot of headaches--such
as people using our resources to download and print material that is
innappropriate for the workplace. Minor problem? Not if someone is offended
and files a suit for sexual harrassment or racial discrimination. Companies
that have such restrictions for internet access have to do so to protect
themselves from such misuse.

Granted, one other reason this restriction exists is to reduce the temptation
for production operators to surf the net while they should be tending the
production equipment. Micron does provide stations around the facility where
people can have external access. These stations are away from the production
floor.

Companies can have a middle ground here. Restricted access to the internet does
not mean a company has to deny access to information--just control where and
when that information is dispersed in the work environment.

Bill Burns
Assembly Training and Documentation Supervisor
WBURNS -at- MICRON -dot- COM

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net