AOL Forum

Subject: AOL Forum
From: "Daniel E. Wise" <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 22:28:03 -0700

Yesterday I asked about how a non-aoler could access the forum being
planned on aol. I got the answer I expected: I can't. It is
unfortunate that aol and the other two of the Big 3 erect walls to keep
the riff-raff out. I suppose they hope to entice people to buy in, but
I see no reason to pay their prices for so little benefit. The going
rate for standard Net providers in this market seems to be trending to
$20 for unlimited access. AOL, in their infinite generosity was
willing to give me 5 whole hours at their base rate and then charge me
$3 per hour for everything over that.

No thank you, aol. Your forum will have to do without the wisdom of
the bulk of techwhirlers, especially me.

Someone suggested that I take up aol on one of the infinite number of
membership offers they keep making me so that I could access the forum
and then cancel out once I had used up my free hours. I think not.
The morality of this bothers me a little (but just a little).

Dan Wise
dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net