Re. Nonstandard HTML

Subject: Re. Nonstandard HTML
From: Chet Ensign <Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 12:47:05 -0500

Geoff Hart wrote:

> A simple calculation here (feel free to
> substitute accurate numbers): give Netscape 90% of the
> browser market

The percentage I've seen is more like 70% but that's not as significant in my
mind as the battle that's shaping up. Microsoft's Explorer is based on the
commerical version of Mosaic and as you all know is now shipping on every new
PC that comes with Windows '95. Microsoft is also playing the proprietary
extensions game and I'm sure both companies have smart people at work trying to
figure out how to a) support the other guy's extensions and b) make even neater
ones that directly conflict with those extensions.

It looks like the GUI word processor wars all over again. I think taking sides
by coding your site for one browser or another is a risky proposition.

On the question of vision-impaired access, ICADD -- the International Center
for Accessible Document Design -- developed a DTD (Document Type Definition)
and a mechanism for mapping other markup languages -- like HTML 2.0 -- to that
DTD in order to make it possible for browsers (and other software programs) to
interpret the content for visually impaired readers. I know that the ICADD
attributes were part of the HTML 2.0 spec at one time, but I don't know where
they stand now. It is, however, a neat solution to the problem. Doesn't affect
the presentation of the stuff at all for the sighted reader, but automatically
processes it for those who need the additional support.

Best regards,

/chet

Chet Ensign
Logical Design Solutions
465 South Street http://www.lds.com
Morristown, NJ 07960 censign -at- lds -dot- com [email]
201-971-0100 [Phone] 201-971-0103 [FAX]

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net