Word 7 - Summary Additions

Subject: Word 7 - Summary Additions
From: Marta Cepek <marta -at- M3ISYSTEMS -dot- QC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 00:54:01 -0400

I was too fast on the gun, techwr-lers! Two more insightful replies (thanks
Sue G. & Sigrid S.) showed up in my mailbox today, and I thought those of
you who asked for a summary might find the additional info useful.

In addition to the similarities/differences listed in yesterday's summary,
Word 7 has the following new features:

* Word 7 attempts to be more intuitive than did 6. Automatic numbering
this point, auto-numbering takes over. Likewise, insert a symbol,
space twice, type stuff, hit return and the second paragraph begins
with the same bullet and you're all formatted. However, autonumbering
with intervening paragraphs of a different style doesn't work any
*better*. Oh, well.

* Also, you don't need to type a space for autocorrect to take over,
so my two hyphens automagically turn into an em-dash without my
needing to go back and delete the spaces.

* Indexing is a little different. There's a dialog box to fill in and
there's no more multiple entries per field. You need one index field
for each entry.

* Keystrokes (accellerators) have been standardized across the MS
applications. For example, saving your file is Shift+F12 in Word 6-it's now
Ctrl+S in Word 7.

* The Styles list on the Formatting toolbar now indicates paragraph or
character styles with a little paragraph sign or a small "a", respectively.

* The Summary Info dialog box (now titled Properties), allows you to define
your own "properties" on the Custom tab. For example, you can set up a
custom field and assign a value to it, then reference that information using
field codes. NOTE: While this is a very handy feature, Word 6 cannot open a
Word 7 document that has any reference(s) to these custom field(s). Word 6
gets an application error and you must restart it.

Once again, thanks to everyone who replied. I for one am extremely grateful
to have this list for the wealth of information that can be had just for the
asking.

Cheers!
Marta Cepek
marta -at- m3isystems -dot- qc -dot- ca