Re: moderated list comments

Subject: Re: moderated list comments
From: Eric Ray <ejray -at- IONET -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 21:18:35 PDT

Ron,

I greatly appreciate your interest and concern. However,
I don't think that moderating TECHWR-L is an option. I
certainly don't have the time or the inclination. I think
the small amount of quality or consistency gained by
moderating the list would not nearly justify the loss
of serendipity, freedom, and spontaniety.

I started the list both as a professional resource
and as a sounding board for those of us who aren't
in immediate contact with other technical writers.
I think that it fills those roles well, although not
perfectly on either count.

Finally, I'm wary of any suggestions about moderating TECHWR-L
or any other suggestions that involve radical changes to
the list format and/or significantly increased work for me.

I'm not quite sure how the topic of moderating the list
came up. I hope I didn't raise the issue or otherwise
imply that I'm considering it. As I said, I don't see it
as an option. Given the extra work it would involve, I'm
also not nearly as open to considering it as I was to,
for example, considering the confirmation issue.

Eric
ejray -at- ionet -dot- net

--- On Wed, 17 Apr 1996 16:01:21 -0500 Ronald Lee Stone <ston0030 -at- gold -dot- tc -dot- umn -dot- edu>
wrote:
>I wouldn't want to mess with a good thing. And I think that
>list delivers interesting and useful commentary and info on
>a regular basis (not unlike other media). But the list also
>provides an entertaining means of expression for those
>subscribing. It may be foolish to even ask that contributors
>submit posts to the approval of a moderator.

>If it is so agreed that the list be free and unmoderated,
>I will cease.

>Until later,

>Ron

>Ronald L. Stone : ston0030 -at- gold -dot- tc -dot- umn -dot- edu : (612) 644-9706
> listowner-administration : (subscriptions, filelist, general)
> RADIO-L : discussion of Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB)

>Post Message: TECHWR-L -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU
>Get Commands: LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU with "help" in body.
>Unsubscribe: LISTSERV -at- LISTSERV -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU with "signoff TECHWR-L"
>Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net

-----------------End of Original Message-----------------

--> Please note new E-mail address <--
Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net