Re: Salaries?

Subject: Re: Salaries?
From: Victor Chapel <victor -at- TRCINC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 13:22:25 -0400

Geoff Hart wrote:
> Mean wage: $41,986 for women vs. $43,637 for men.
> Difference: less than $1700.

>From personal experience only, I haven't worked at company
that practiced salary discrimination except for a forgettable
3 months at a large azure company (email me if that's too obtuse).
The best technical writer I ever worked with is a woman at
Intergraph in Huntsville AL. We started within 2 weeks of each
other, but she had more experience (I had none) and we were both
paid accordingly. If I was still there she'd probably be my
manager. Her salary was higher for about six years, then I found
that one-in-a-million great new company to work for and slipped
ahead. Nice segue into the next post...

And John Glenn wrote:
> For anyone keeping track of pay levels, the Tampa (FL) Bay area
> highs seem to be $45k - $47k for experienced multi-talented
> writers at _name_ companies.

That's right on target. And not a bad wage for a state with no
income tax and relatively low cost of living. I've been in Tampa
for 5 years now and no longer work for a _name_ company, which
probably explains how--after working my tail off here for 4 years--
I cracked your upper limit, if all the bonuses come through. ;-)
Actually, The Technical Resource Connection is becoming very well
known in Object Technology circles, but is almost unknown locally.

Now I suppose people will start responding to my .sig . . .
We just hired someone and don't have an immediate need, but
please send resumes if you're really interested and capable
of working like mad on 3 or more projects of 4 or more documents,
all at the same time. (With little or no support/supervision.)

--
Victor Chapel The Technical Resource Connection Tampa
victorc -at- trcinc -dot- com 1-800-872-2992 Fax: 813-891-6138

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net