Website-creation tools

Subject: Website-creation tools
From: Sheldon Siegel <sheldon -dot- siegel -at- ATTWS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 10:43:00 PDT

I originally wrote:

>>I've been asked to make a recommendation as to which Web-authoring tool
our >>division should go with ...

>>criteria:

>>- speed
>>- reasonable set of features (does not have to be the latest whiz-bang
deal)
>>- ease of use
>>- solid company, with good update policy, support, documentation, and
other >>peripheries
>>- track record (not a first release out the door)
>>- allow multiple authors on a project

>>TIA for any information you may have!

Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful replies!

Many people mentioned that they couldn't give me a fair response until they
knew more about our situation/authoring environment.

Right now, we'll be creating HTML documents from scratch, and our authoring
environment is set on MS Office/Windows 3.1.

Most of the people who would be doing the authoring are familiar only with
Office, and have only Office installed on their desktops.

That doesn't mean we couldn't choose another Web-authoring tool, that
doesn't rely on Word, but it would probably cut down on training and support
if we did ...

Most of the responses (so far) mentioned Hot Dog (plus two votes for
FrontPage, one for Pagemill, one for VI, and one for VM Highway).

thanks again,

--sheldon

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net