Re: HOT DOG HTML EDITOR (and tables)

Subject: Re: HOT DOG HTML EDITOR (and tables)
From: LaVonna Funkhouser <lffunkhouser -at- HALNET -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 08:20:15 -0500

At 07:02 AM 4/16/96 -0400, Suzanne Pyle wrote:
> A while back I asked you what you preferred as an HTML editor, and
>the general concensus was HotDog standard or Pro 2.5. Well I took your
>advice and downloaded the 30 day trial version. Looks pretty good so far,
>and seems to have a simple way to do tables (kinda how you do them in
>Word).

Suzanne,
I have used HotDog since Sept. 1995, and I think it is great. I just
upgraded from Hotdog Pro v.1.3 to 2.5.1. (2.5.2 is also out, but it is
not yet at the mirror sites.)

>Now I'm wondering if you HotDog experts have any tips for doing tables?
>Can you have as many rows and columns as you need?

Even though I love HotDog, I haven't really used it for my table creation.
(And, yes, I've done *lots* of HTML tables.) Because most of our tables
start out in Microsoft Excel, I use one of the very easy-to-use Excel-to-HTML
converters out there. The one I use is XL2HTML.EXE by Jordon Evans. Go to
http://www710.gsfc.nasa.gov/704/dgd/xl2html.html
for more info.

After it gives you good table HTML code, you might have tweak it to delete
blank cells or adjust the alighment, but that's a simple task. I've used this
method for several very large tables, and it works. (Yes, if possible, break
up your large tables, but sometimes you need that info all together.)

>Are there any
>restrictions I should know about? Anything else you can share on HotDog?

Hmmm...Since you are doing tables, be sure to learn COLSPAN.

>I couldn't seem to download the help file, and kinda learning this
>intuitively.

You should download it again, perhaps from a mirror site. The Help file
should be in there.

--LaVonna
LaVonna F. Funkhouser, COREComm
lffunkhouser -at- halnet -dot- com (work)
http://www.corecomm.com/corecomm/
Come by our booth at the STC Annual Conference in Seattle!
~~~~~~~~UOS, my email opinions are my own.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Listowner: ejray -at- ionet -dot- net