Re: A Preponderance of Females

Subject: Re: A Preponderance of Females
From: Janet Valade <jvalade -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 10:13:47 -0700

Ruth wrote:
>It
>is significant to note that, over the last ten years, the U.S. 'Gender
Gap'
>in the technical communication profession has decreased from 19% to
4.5%
>--an improvement of 14.5%.

Is this because men are accepting less money? The gender gap is one
issue; the issue of whether the entire profession is underpaid because
it is seen as a "female" profession is another issue.

>a.) educate ourselves
>b.) _demonstrate_ our value
>c.) don't settle for less than we deserve

I think I deserve $75-100 per hour, as programmers with equivalent
skills and years of experience would receive. However, I suspect that
I would starve while refusing to settle for less, no matter how
educated or demonstrated. Or am I wrong?

Janet Valade
jvalade -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com