Re: A Preponderance of Females

Subject: Re: A Preponderance of Females
From: Matthew Danda <dandam -at- 1STNET -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 08:44:31 -0500

>In my experience, men in software documentation around Seattle tend to
>get drawn to programming and development positions after a while of
>just writing about it (I refer to this as "getting seduced by the dark
>side of the Force." <g>). There's a certain glamor to it all, and men
>*seem* to be more susceptible to it than women.

It is my opinion (oh no!) that programming and development jobs are not any
more difficult/challenging/intellectual than tech writing jobs. In fact,
they may be less stressful. But--this is important--they pay more.

So, as a younger tech writer who loves writing and also loves software
development, how can I avoid not considering becoming a programmer? I mean,
these guys are no smarter than I, work equally as hard as I, yet make more
money! I, being a male who is very close to starting a family life, think a
lot about those economic factors.

Just a thought.
Matt

Matthew Danda