Re: Hotmetal Pro 3.0 upgrade ad promotes vaporware!

Subject: Re: Hotmetal Pro 3.0 upgrade ad promotes vaporware!
From: David Ibbetson <ibbetson -at- IDIRECT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 20:14:40 -0400

Phil Block writes:

>SoftQuad's new ad in PC Magazine (4/23/96 issue) implies availability
>of an upgrade to Hotmetal Pro. As a registered owner of this software,
>I was excited, to say the least. Hotmetal Pro v2.0 is hobbled by lack
>of support for Netscape frames and Java tags. The ad states that the
>upgrade version will include these features, and more.

>When I called to order my upgrade, I found out that the product will
>not be released until the end of May. The ad leads you to believe that
>you can get the upgrade now. It even states "Call 1-800-387-2777 to
>order. (for upgrades only)."

I wish this problem was new.

In the days when computer manufacturers also provided the software one of my
jobs was sales support for a UK manufacturer. (This was around 25 years
ago.) "Available" often meant "We'll do it if there's sufficient demand".

This attitude wasn't confined to the firm I worked for, nor is it confined
to the computer industry.

"Men must be taught as if you taught them not,
And things unknown proposed as things forgot." -- Pope
David Ibbetson, 133 Wilton St, #506, Toronto, M5A 4A4
ibbetson -at- idirect -dot- com (416)363-6692 fax (416)363-4987