A Preponderance of Females

Subject: A Preponderance of Females
From: "Daniel E. Wise" <dewise -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 21:50:48 -0700

Chris Hulin asked a couple of days ago whether the profession was
attracting more women than men. Yes, Chris. It is true. Women happen
to make darn good writers and editors. If we men wish to stay in the
field, we had best look to our credentials and keep up with the women
who network like crazy, grasp new ideas, and learn new software that
keeps them marketable. Not to mention, produce a quality product.

At the Region 3 Student Conference on March 30, women outnumbered men
by a large margin. Within STC, some of the best managers and officers
we have ever had are women. Technical communication, I think, is one
field in which women have excelled--over the past 20 years especially.

So, come on, men. One more time it's true. We have to lead, follow,
or get out of the way.

Dan Wise
dewise -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com
38 years in the field