Ergonomics re CTS

Subject: Ergonomics re CTS
From: Alexander Von_obert <avobert -at- TWH -dot- MSN -dot- SUB -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 13:26:00 +0100

Hello Arlen,

* Antwort auf eine Nachricht von Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com an All am 04.04.96

AA> From: Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- jci -dot- com

AA> 21-22 inches??? That would be a *very* uncomfortable position
AA> for me to
AA> type in, considering that would put the top of the keyboard
AA> more than 3
AA> inches below the top of my knees!!
AA>
AA> I think the idea of absolute measurements for these things are
AA> ridiculous.
AA> Every body is different, so the measurements should all be
AA> relative to the size of the body.

I have known that from my school days. I reached my final size of 1.94 m a
bit more that 76") at about 16 years of age and I always was the tallest in my
classes (and during my military service). Sometimes I succeeded in getting a
higher desk than the others, but most like I did not and my mother had to go
the teachers at least once a year: I could not sit straight as the teachers
expected.

This continued all the way through the times when I was employed. We have a
DIN standard that dictates a writing desk height of 72 cm (28"). Extremely
comfortable desks may have a lift up to 74 or 75 cm (29"). My home-made desk
is
78 cm (more that 30") high. My keybord is 69 cm (27") above ground and I am
quite comfortable with the lower edges of my monitors some 95 cm (37") above
ground. This means that the upper edge of the 14" monitor of my BBS computer
is
quite a bit below my eyes and upper edge the 17" screen is slightly below my
eyes.

AA> I don't have bifocals, but I still find that
AA> monitor height to be too high for comfort, as well. I prefer
AA> the top of the monitor to be at about eye level.

I can only agree.

AA> One thing I *do* do regularly is change my workstation
AA> parameters. I'll
AA> raise or lower my chair, move the keyboard tray, etc.

In my opinion changing anything on a coworker's chair is quite impolite. I
have seen people suffering for hours until they had settled down on new
adjustments. But I change my working position quite often. I shift the
keyboard around, put it on my knees (like at the moment) or do other
variations. But you can do that with the keyboard only. At this moment I could
not reach my mouse.

As a free-lancer working from my home I even have to change my working
conditions more radically by doing some house work during the day or do my
shopping. This freedom is one of the nicest things about my way of
working.

Greetings from Germany,
Alexander