Re: Tony's Wonderful Frame Project

Subject: Re: Tony's Wonderful Frame Project
From: Kat Nagel/MasterWork <katnagel -at- EZNET -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 10:12:39 -0400

Bill wrote:>
>2. Again, the really big beef I have with frame is its purported
>"cross-platform" functionality simply doesn't work. And I am not the only
>example I have to prove this. Many people in the particular project I am
>working on, (which involves hundreds of "trained" frame users) experience
>the same problems daily: "This graphic didn't show up in your document, I
>couldn't read this document at all, I don't see your headers." The stuff
>doesn't work gang.

I'm currently working on two multi-platform projects. One client uses MS
Word, and the other client insists on WordPerfect. We can't even transfer
simple files successfully between closely related versions of -either- of
those applications on the -same- platform. I'd gladly convert both
projects to Frame if I could.

I've worked on several cross-platform Frame projects, transferring complex
files routinely among PCs, Macs and UNIX boxes with NO serious
difficulties. Like any other application, FrameMaker serves you better
with a little advance planning. For example, did your project planners
consider the graphics requirements of all the hardware platforms before
they designed the templates and graphics specs for the project? This works
wonders to control the frustration level.

Don't trash a tool just because some projects or job sites have a problem
with it. Almost any tool can be used successfully if you plan carefully to
deal with known hardware and OS limitations.

@Kat ________________________________ LIFE1 pays for LIFE2
Kat Nagel MasterWork Consulting Services, Rochester, NY

LIFE1 (technical writing/document design) katnagel -at- eznet -dot- net
(health reference service) mediref -at- mcls -dot- rochester -dot- lib -dot- ny -dot- us
LIFE2 (vocal chamber music) PlaynSong -at- aol -dot- com