Re: CHAT: memory

Subject: Re: CHAT: memory
From: Beverly Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH2 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 07:18:17 MST

David Ibbetson writes:
> Iv'e only been associated with computers since c. 1960. To me everything
> from the high-speed cache to things slower than mag tape are types of
> memory. I have to make an effort to remember that these days "memory" is
> often used to refer to one of the many types.

David, you are right. Someone else caught me on this, too (in a
private message). I should not have said that the term "memory"
was *incorrect* to describe a disk drive. What I should have
said was that the term was *vague*.

An example I gave for how teaching only vague--or high level
abstraction--terms could cloud conversations, is that of a
troubleshooter asking a user how much memory he has. The user's
answer: "500 meg."

Beverly Parks -- bparks -at- huachuca-emh2 -dot- army -dot- mil
The opinions expressed are my own.