Re: disclaimers, warranties and liability

Subject: Re: disclaimers, warranties and liability
From: Garret Romaine <GRomaine -at- MSMAIL -dot- RADISYS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 1996 13:20:00 PST

here's my all-time favorite disclaimer:

"We don't claim EasyFlow is good for anything - if you think it is, great,
but it's up to you to decide. If EasyFlow doesn't work: tough. If you lose a
million because EasyFlow messes up, it's you that's out the million, not us.
If you don't like this disclaimer: tough. We reserve the right to do the
absolute minimum provided by law, up to and including nothing.

"This is basically the same disclaimer that comes with all software
packages, but ours is in plain English and theirs is in legalese.

"We didn't really want to include any disclaimer at all, but our lawyers
insisted. We tried to ignore them but they threatened us with the attack
shark (see license agreement above) at which point we relented."

The relevant part of the "Bloodthirsty License Agreement" is as follows:

"...If, on the other hand, you are one of those people who do go around
pirating copies of software you probably aren't going to pay much attention
to a license agreement, bloodthirsty or not. Just keep your doors locked and
look out for the HavenTree attack shark."

Garret Romaine
gromaine -at- radisys -dot- com
- Endeavor to persevere