Intriguing Question ...

Subject: Intriguing Question ...
From: "Dennis Hays/The Burden Lake Group, Ltd." <dlhays -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 1996 17:20:01 -0500

The Project Manager called me today regarding a new phase to our current
project which was bid by another company. Here's the situation:

Is there some kind of ratio of design/coding man hours to document development?

For instance, if it's estimated that an enhancement to a given software
system is going to take 1,000 man hours to design and code; can we estimate
how many hours to budget for a user manual (user only; no technical
reference or system admin manuals)?

Now, I know there are various develoment tool out there from sheer code and
debug to CASE. But, on the average, is there a number I can plug in to
figure how long it should take to develop a user manual?

Dennis Hays/The Burden Lake Group, Ltd.
dlhays -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com
"Write with fire, cut with ice."