Re: Tests to Screen Candidates for Tech Communicator Positions

Subject: Re: Tests to Screen Candidates for Tech Communicator Positions
From: STEVEN HOLLANDER <HOLLAND -at- CVAX -dot- IPFW -dot- INDIANA -dot- EDU>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 1996 09:44:16 -0600

Educational Testing Service (the people who bring us SATs) have a nationally
normed tech-writing test available. The norming was done about 3 years ago
at about 60 U.S. universities (including mine). The questions, I thought,
leaned pretty heavily toward the "pure" sciences, but since my students did
very well <g>, I concluded that the test was valid.

I'm sure ETS would be happy to charge for administering the test to anybody
interested, though its real application is supposed to be for college
students attempting to establish credit in tech-writing courses.

Steve Hollander
holland -at- cvax -dot- ipfw -dot- indiana -dot- edu