Re: Online with IBM's BookManager

Subject: Re: Online with IBM's BookManager
From: Marilynne Smith <mrsmith -at- CTS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 1996 22:03:00 PST

At 09:40 AM 3/20/96 CST, Carl Rudorf wrote:
>Thanks to all who've lent a word or two on this topic.

>I am nevertheless at a loss as to how the BUILD product interprets such things
>as hard returns, page breaks, tabs and left indents. Although I employ these
>elements consistently throughout my WP 6 / DOS doc, the BUILD product deals
with
>them irratically. For example, a chunk of text may be arbitrarily chopped off
I don't know your tool that you're using. If it was me, I'd convert it to
an ASCII file and tag it. Bookie doesn't need hard returns. Page breaks
are a good way to ask for trouble until you're going final. Tabs and
indents are dealt with differently. Are you following your instructions for
your conversion tool exactly?
>and deposited after dead space. (Sorta like this.) This is regardless of the
>fact that in the hardcopy the chunk of text is all of one piece, on the same
>page, etc. Is this kind of distraction I should just learn to live with? (Hmm,
>how'm I gonna break this to marketing; they want to *sell* the online doc.)
I don't know what's causing it without looking at the document. Why don't
you send me a small chunk and let me see if I can figure it out.

>I'm curious . . . several of you -- Kris & Betty -- mention tagging the
>hardcopy text from the outset . . . would this provide me
>more control? Where can I find out about tags and their rules?
No doubt about it, but then I already *know* Bookie. You would have to
learn it too.
>Thanks

>carl rudorf
>crudorf -at- mbsbooks -dot- com

Thanks for starting a discussion that I find interesting. <grin>

Marilynne
mrsmith -at- cts -dot- com
Marilynne Smith
mrsmith -at- cts -dot- com