Re: on custom-built documents & feature databases...

Subject: Re: on custom-built documents & feature databases...
From: Chet Ensign <Chet_Ensign%LDS -at- NOTES -dot- WORLDCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 16:35:06 -0600

Tina Klein asks...

> We have several thousand pages which are constantly and
> selectively affected by the introduction of new
> development "features" to the product. Our customers ...
> procure sets of features. ... We need the ability to provide any feature
permutation.

> The problem: how will we selectively compile their
> documentation to match their feature sets?

Actually, Sikorsky Aircraft and Caterpillar both have done something very much
like this using (what else, since it is me responding to the question) SGML as
the data structure. Writers document components and systems, not helicopters or
tractors. There are writers who are subject matter experts in systems
(hydraulics, rotors, etc.) and writers specializing in theory of operation,
system specs, etc. The deliverable documentation can be quickly assembled from
the necessary components. Those I don't have the details here, I'll have to
dig around and find them. Maybe someone else on the list is familiar with that
application. If there's interest, I'll try to find what I have at home.

Best,

/chet

Chet Ensign
Logical Design Solutions
571 Central Avenue http://www.lds.com
Murray Hill, NJ 07974 censign -at- lds -dot- com [email]
908-771-9221 [Phone] 908-771-0430 [FAX]