Framemaker knuckles under.

Subject: Framemaker knuckles under.
From: soundy -at- NEXTLEVEL -dot- COM
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 13:56:04 -0600

This is an announcement that was posted a few days ago. I used to
recommend Framemaker as the most fully-cross-platform publishing package
available. Now that Adobe has gotten their grubby mitts on it, I can't do
that anymore. Pity - another one bites the dust.

[ Article crossposted from comp.text.frame,comp.os.os2.apps ] [ Author was
Roger Williams ]
[ Posted on 7 Mar 1996 20:18:54 GMT ]

Date: Thu, 7 Mar 96 11:55:36 PST
From: frametec -at- frame -dot- com (Frame Technical Support Mailer)
To: AdobeFMCustomers -at- frame -dot- com
Subject: FrameMaker & OS/2

Dear FrameMaker customers:

We regret to inform our customers that after careful consideration
following Adobe Systems' acquisition of Frame Technology in 1995, Adobe
will discontinue development of Adobe FrameMaker and FrameViewer
products for the OS/2 platform.

Adobe recognizes the importance of maintaining Adobe FrameMaker's
heritage of strong cross-platform compatibility and availability for a
range of operating systems. In fact, we intend to add support for two
new platforms, Windows 95 and Windows NT, later this year. With
versions for Sun OS, Solaris, HP/UX, IBM AIX, SGI IRIX, Digital UNIX,
Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows NT, Macintosh and Power Macintosh,
Adobe FrameMaker offers the most complete cross-platform support of any
document publishing sofware.

Our objective is to provide to FrameMaker customers a superior product
across a wide range of platforms and to maintain a timely regular
upgrade cycle. After careful review of the FrameMaker for OS/2 project
and our future product plans, Adobe faced a very difficult situation.
The decision to discontinue the development of FrameMaker for OS/2 will
allow our developers to concentrate on the next version of FrameMaker
and accelerate product release cycles.

We regret the inconvenience this decision may cause, but we are certain
that it will allow us to better serve FrameMaker customers on the wide
range of computing platforms on which the product is available today.

Sincerely,

Martin Doettling
Director, Frame Products
Adobe Systems Incorporated

Your friend and mine,
Matt
"Maybe all I need, besides my pills and surgery,
is a new metaphor for... reality." -- Queensryche

Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of Next Level
Productions, or anyone else of sound mind from this planet or
dimension!