Re: Framemaker required

Subject: Re: Framemaker required
From: Bev Parks <bparks -at- HUACHUCA-EMH2 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 11:46:38 MST

Jack Shaw <jsh -at- software-ag -dot- de> wrote-->
> I'll sign off on that, for sure. Interleaf is one of the most powerful
> yet least intuitive tools I have ever experienced. I can't be sure
> that even formal training in its use would overcome its quirks...

I think Interleaf is the best thing since sliced bread, but Jack
is right on two accounts. Even with formal training, not
everyone will pick up on the subtle, yet powerful features of
the product. My organization trained 60 people--beginning and
advanced classes--on Interleaf when we first had our Sun network
installed. Maybe five percent came out of those classes with a
solid, working knowledge.

Because of work deadlines, I was able to attend only the
beginning class, yet thanks to my *interest* in DTP and *past
experience* with other products, I ended up one of the two
Interleaf gurus in our organization. Yet almost everyone else
had more advanced, formal training with the software.

> But it's a short-lived one, since along will inevitably come a better,
> more intuitive/less expensive (i.e. productive) tool to drain the swamp
> and steal your thunder while you're making exhaustive benchmarks of the
> relative throughput of alligator subspecies.

And this is the second point I agree on with Jack. Both our Sun
network and Interleaf are going away. Why? One of the primary
reasons is that most people remained confused by Interleaf
almost four years after we got it. Now we are going with
Microsoft Word (AAAAHHHH!!) organization-wide, to replace
Interleaf. I think it's the dumbest decision in the world to
exchange one of the most powerful document development tools for
a mere word processor. But, as Jack says, it IS less expensive
and it WILL be more productive for the masses. (But I don't
think it's anywhere near being more intuitive.)

Those of us who mastered Interleaf and appreciated its power
will mourn its loss for a long time.

Bev Parks
bparks -at- huachuca-emh2 -dot- army -dot- mil
My opinions are my own.