Re: Internet Usage by Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Internet Usage by Tech Writers
From: Tim Altom <taltom -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 1996 08:58:00 EST

At 06:29 PM 3/16/96 -0800, you wrote:

>I'm a freelance tech + marcom writer. I also teach tech writing at a local
>college from time to time. I use the Internet as an e-mail medium probably
>90% of the time. I communicate with clients as far away as Quebec; almost
>all of my clients are happy to accept delivery of in the form of e-mail
>attachments. To tell the truth, I do try to deliver final copy in person,
>just to make personal contact with my clients.

<Stuff I didn't want to talk about snipped away>

>=========================
>Eric Brown
>869 Drayton Street
>North Vancouver BC V7L 2C2
>(604) 980-6947 fax 980-6933
>eric_brown -at- sfu -dot- ca
>=========================

We, too, try to email attachments as much as possible, but to our chagrin a
great many larger clients don't have this capability. They're often five
years or more behind the cutting edge, meaning that while they may have
external email, it's rare for a big company to have attachment capability. I
can often communicate far more easily with a two-person print shop than I
can with a multi-billion-dollar international corporation. In fact, we
recently dealt with a truly mammoth international manufacturer of household
appliances with a huge staff of IT folks and offices all over the world. And
we had to get them onto the net so we could transfer files to them without
mailing disks. Their expertise and focus were on stampings and wiring
harnesses, not net stuff.

Tim Altom
Vice President
Simply Written, Inc.