Re: Online with IBM's BookManger

Subject: Re: Online with IBM's BookManger
From: Marilynne Smith <mrsmith -at- CTS -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 1996 03:29:00 PST

At 09:31 AM 3/14/96 CST, Carl Rudorf wrote:
>Hello:

>Management just got a great idea: let's put hardcopy online. "Carl, see to it;
>here, use BookManager."
>Specifically, the goal is to create softcopy books on the AS/400, using
>BookManager -- which is incorprated into the 400 OS V3R1.
>I've successfullty ported a legacy WordPerfect doc into BookManager, but this
>stuff looks ugly! Has anybody else the dubious honor of having to work with
this
>stuff? Any tips?

>carl rudorf
>crudorf -at- mbsbooks -dot- com

Book Manager has a source file that you use to BUILD the book. The source
file may look ugly to you if you're used to WYSIWYG, but the online book is
pretty good. The tags used to create the source file are similar to SGML.
The source file is portable. You can send it across the net as ASCII. You
may come to like it.

Certainly I find tagging easier and more logical than trying to find the
quirky little function that does what you want on a word processor. I also
find it easier to deal with than hidden codes.

So, learn to tag, learn the tools, then put them on your resume. Can't hurt.

Marilynne (a tagging fool)
Marilynne Smith
mrsmith -at- cts -dot- com