on custom-built documents & feature databases...

Subject: on custom-built documents & feature databases...
From: "tina (c.l.) klein" <cklein -at- BNR -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 09:57:00 -0500

As much as I am enjoying this s/he tirade... (Even though
I am not sure why it comes up in user documentation - we
don't write in the third person any more, do we?)

I am currently exploring futures for our documentation
suite. We have several thousand pages which are constantly
and selectively affected by the introduction of new
development "features" to the product. Our customers don't
shop on a per "feature" package. Instead they, procure sets
of features. Some features will always be purchased together.
We need the ability to provide any feature permutation.

The problem: how will we selectively compile their
documentation to match their feature sets? how can
we set up feature databases with user-oriented info
(not functional specification) that serves both
product information and training needs?

Is anybody out there currently working on this problem?
Do you (does he/she/them) care to discuss your (his/hers/
their) solution in this forum? Moving forward is part of
the solution but retrofitting it to existing pages is
another...