Re: FrameMaker Required (Was: Re: Interleaf and Sun work stations)

Subject: Re: FrameMaker Required (Was: Re: Interleaf and Sun work stations)
From: Jim Grey <jimgrey -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 1996 09:33:00 EST

Then, Tim Altom (taltom -at- iquest -dot- net) said:
>True enough, if you're postulating that somebody will just come in and sit
>down to an already-created template and just has to point-and-shoot. But
>FrameMaker essentially isn't DTP, it's a tool with a paradigm for doing long
>docs. Using it as an upstairs version of PageMaker strips it of most of its
>innate capabilities.

I *was* assuming ready templates; sorry I didn't make that clear. That was
the typical scenario where I first worked as a technical communicator. We
developed one layout standard for all manuals, and developed one template
for it. Teaching the template was a minor task. Teaching enough Interleaf
for temps to get by was also a minor task when the temps had any experience
with modern word processors or page layout programs. I was always able to
help them draw parallels between what they already knew and Interleaf's way
of doing things.

Unfortunately, that little software company never afforded us the luxury of
creating designs appropriate for each manual. It was a shame that the
company never saw the value in using the best of capable writers' talents to
create more effective documents.

Peace,
jim
--
jim grey |beebeebumbleandthestingersmottthehoopleraycharlessingers
jimgrey -at- iquest -dot- net|lonniemackandtwangin'eddiehere'smyringwe'regoingsteadyta