Moving onto another topic...

Subject: Moving onto another topic...
From: Guy McDonald <guym -at- DAKA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 09:08:55 -0800

>>I had been going on the theory that if used for educational value, that
many things could be copied, perhaps the only requirement being that the
reference be made.

>Wrong.

<snip a nice "copyrighted" dissertation on sueing someone over something
NOT related to e-mail & the internet>
-----------
Thanks go to Dennis Hayes & M.P. Gregor for a good laugh this Sunday
morning. Their exchange on this e-mail copyright stuff brought chuckles
(even before the first taste of java hit my lips). I wonder how many of
you caught where Gregor resides.... Chevy Chase, Maryland. <LOL

I'd like to spin off this thread and open one that relates to our daily
jobs. Writers have a command on language at different levels. However
generally speaking, writers limit themselves by falling into a vocabulary
rut. The recent english language & the editing topic brought some very
good ideas to the plate here on TWList. I'd like to take it one step
further. How are you folk motivating the client to "step up" employee
interest in technical manuals? My question is to those writing operational
& maintenance manuals for corporate industry (including some government
organizations).

To narrow the question even further.... How are you getting a hourly wage
grade earner to take pride & ownership in his/her equipment & operational
conduct? Here are a few "general worker type" examples we see in America:

1. Wage grade earner # 1: 35 years experience. Deemed a SME in title,
yet few ask him questions (the "dinosaur" type on the "ROAD" program).
Discussion limited to overall company policy is more his forte.
2. W.G. earner # 2: 8/15 years experience. Hot runner in the company,
but can't wait for that whistle to blow. He'll help, but without passion
to motivate others.
3. W.G. earner # 3: 2/3 years experience. Typically the most current
(technically). However, he is termed "junior" and not listened to by W.G.
# 1 & # 2.

One of OUR biggest problems is making the boring stuff we write a *good
read*. The challenge beyond that is to spark the manager & operator's true
interest in daily work (pride in ownership). I don't want to stray far
with this thread, so if you folk expand into team building, managerial
issues, etc... please start a new header.

In case you wondered, "JASL" is a friendly jab at my fellow writers
vehemently protecting my copyright. =:) "JASL" : Just Another Sea Lawyer
Thank you,
Guy McDonald
guym -at- daka -dot- com