Evolving language or laziness?

Subject: Evolving language or laziness?
From: Lorraine -dot- Lawford-McWilliams -at- ISOCOR -dot- IE
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 09:28:28 +0100

I recently received messages which included the following clips:

>>.. are acceptable:
>> Me and John are going to the store.
>> Do you want to come with John and I?

>>Then there's "there's", which can take singular or plural objects for
>>many speakers.

>>This is obsolete. Our evolving language dictates that there's and theirs
>>may be used interchangeably. Thus theirs no simply rule for how people
>>use they're there's.

Of course our language must evolve to stay alive, but the examples given above
do not reflect a language which is developing and improving. Instead they
appear to be attempts by some writers to justify their own lazy style of writing. I
can't see any justification for confusing they're/there/their - it simply introduces
ambiguity and must be a nightmare for localization staff! In Britain and Ireland
such writing would be generally be considered incorrect.

Lorraine

(my own views - not necessarily ISOCOR's)