Re: all this copyright stufff

Subject: Re: all this copyright stufff
From: Ian Macdonald <imacd -at- PC -dot- JARING -dot- MY>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 1996 12:44:48 -0500

At 11:46 AM 11/3/96 +1100, Colleen Dancer (02) 333-1862 wrote:
<snip>

>If people start claiming copyright infringements for information
>broadcast on the net on mailing lists then guess what, the internet just
>died. Most of its benefits just went out the window. I am happy for my
>posts to be used by other people, in their workplace, if they were going
>to quote me in a commercial venture (eg book) I would appreciate them
>asking first. Sometimes we worry so much about copyright it gets in the
>way of sharing and learning.

<snip>

Good point!

My perspective on all this is if I post something to a "list" it is with the
intent of sharing the information with anyone who finds it useful. If I have
comments or information that I *do not* want freely distributed I send
personal email, and expect to be asked before that message is copied to
anyone else (or quoted in a book).

Now if someone wants to sell the information gathered from a mailing list
that is a whole other matter. Copyright protection certainly has it's place,
but, as far as I am concerned, so long as the information is accuratly
quoted and attributed I would encourage information to be shared that has
been posted "publicly". You can't get much more public than an unmoderated
internet mailing list!

After all, if it is useful information your professional image is being
promoted for "free". If it is bad information you deserve the consequences ;-)

Ian Macdonald Tel: +03 452 7553
WriTech Fax: +03 453 2910
Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia e-mail: imacd -at- pc -dot- jaring -dot- my