Re: Contractions

Subject: Re: Contractions
From: Laura Myott <lmyott -at- SVCDOC -dot- MC -dot- XEROX -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 1996 05:12:35 PST

> >Well, as with most things, it depends on your writing style and your audience
> >But the bottom line is the same as for most things in technical writing. Use
> >it if it adds to comprehension and "flow", and don't if it doesn't.
> >

> I agree, totally. Many will caution against contractions if a work is
> to be translated. But, if it isn't headed overseas and is informal in
> tone, contractions are appropriate.

Another area you might have to worry about is not necessarily translation,
but internationalization. Am I correct in assuming that even though your
text might not be translated, if it is used in other countries in the English
form, some people still might have problems when contractions are used?

Laura Myott
Technical Writer
Interim Technology Professionals
lmyott -at- svcdoc -dot- mc -dot- xerox -dot- com