Copyright and TECHWR-L Postings

Subject: Copyright and TECHWR-L Postings
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <uhl -at- VISLAB -dot- EPA -dot- GOV>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 1996 08:21:56 -0800

If I were stealing text from TECHWR-L for use in
a Web page or book I was writing, I certainly wouldn't
advertise it on TECHWR-L. Knowing human nature:
the power of greed and laziness, I am certain that
sooner or later, if not already, someone will copy
text, verbatim, without permission from the authors
and publish it in a book or Web page.

This kind of behavior is wrong and should be discouraged.
Resorting to defensive rhetoric about TECHWR-L being
"private club" diverts attention away from the real issue.
If you want to use the posting of a TECHWR-L author,
ask them first. Every time I've asked to reprint a
as the author and site the source and date of their
writing.

--

Michael Andrew Uhl, Lead Technical Writer (uhl -at- vislab -dot- epa -dot- gov)
Lockheed Martin, Primary Support Contractor to US EPA