Re: Which is first: online or paper?

Subject: Re: Which is first: online or paper?
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- EXPERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 14:01:00 -0800

At 01:29 PM 3/6/96 -0500, Kathy Fisher wrote:
>I think it's best to keep paper distribution to a bare minimum, especially
>for government-sector clients. There's the maintenance issue ...[snip]
> ... And auditors have a field day ...[snip]
> Except in cases where not all users have access to a computer ...[snip]
>let's do what we said we were going to do years
>ago -- create a truly paperless environment.

While this would certainly make some of our lives easier, it
certainly wouldn't sit well with some members of our audience.
There are still those users who prefer paper and there are
a lot of usability issues with putting information online
that we haven't begun to address yet.

Besides, in the commercial arena, it's very difficult to
justify the expense of a $500 or $5000 (yup, thousand)
piece of software when you don't put anything in the box
except a cd-rom. Tangible goods are still a big part of
the value perception process.

-Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- expersoft -dot- com