How to edit constructively

Subject: How to edit constructively
From: Kathy Fisher <KDFisher -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 1996 13:27:58 -0500

I don't think it's necessary to be too worried about offending the client re:
editing. The client knows he/she needs your help when you are hired and
should be glad to receive your constructive criticism. After all, that's
what you were hired to do. The important thing to remember is that technical
writing is, in part, a job of diplomacy; there are tactful ways to convey to
the client that the piece needs improvement. Having spent many years
approving the work of other writers for publication, I found that one of the
best techniques is to use simple psychology; i.e., "sandwich" the positive
witht the negative -- tell the client what you like about the work you
receive and then suggest ways in which it might be improved.

Kathy Fisher
Tech Writer, NM
KDFisher -at- aol -dot- com