Re: Trends for Technical Communicators?

Subject: Re: Trends for Technical Communicators?
From: Stuart Burnfield <slb -at- FS -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 1996 08:26:31 +0800

(These refer to software documentation, not general techwr:)

- increasing overlap of documentation and software development (e.g.
writers involved in user interface design)

- Barbarians at the Gateway: mass publishing of technical information by
non-tech-writers on the Net/Web, in what we would consider 'our patch'
(analogous to the explosion of do-it-yourself DTP after the mid-80s?)

- need to write for many types of user from expert to newcomer, not just
one or two well-defined categories (that is, we have to make docs work
both for the mad scientists AND the mob of torch-wielding peasants).

Regards
Stuart Burnfield slb -at- fs -dot- com -dot- au Voice: +61 9 328 8288

I believe in love, hope, truth, joy, wonder, freedom, diversity...
note that these are MY opinions and not necessarily those of my employer